Good balance with technical issues and case studies
Christiaan De Bruyn, Trustee/Fiduciary, Trident Trust Company (HK) Ltd
Practical skills for practitioners working with a family enterprise.
This qualification is a collaboration between STEP and CLT International (CLTI).
How will this course benefit me?
On completion of the Advanced Certificate, you will be able to:
- Understand the complexities of the family business context
- Analyse the family business, including governance issues and sources of conflict
- Assess the needs of the family enterprise and make recommendations for action
- Apply a range of proven tools to help the family business achieve its objectives
- Demonstrate the skills and knowledge expected of a competent family enterprise advisor operating from within the bounds of their own profession of origin
How will this course benefit my employer?
On completion of this Advanced Certificate you and your firm, will be able to:
- Introduce or enhance a family business specialism within your firm
- Apply your learning to practice in real time, as the course progresses
- Identify business opportunities, local or international, in what is currently an immature market
- Access a wider business and professional community of practice
- Enhance your capability within your “profession of origin” skill set
- Gain enhanced credibility with prospective clients
Course content and delivery
What does this qualification cover?
- The family business market
- Family business due diligence
- Introduction to family business systems
- Planning for the predictable as a family enterprise becomes more complex
- Ownership governance
- Family governance
- Corporate governance
- Succession planning
- Next generation development and helping the senior generation to let go
- Understanding and managing conflict in family businesses
- Documenting the family business strategy – family constitutions
- Developing a family business specialism.
You can see a more detailed syllabus here.
How is it delivered?
The Advanced Certificate is delivered through a blend of distance learning and a two-day workshop designed to be completed in four months. To gain the Certificate you will need to attend the workshop and pass the end-of-course assessment which is a 3,500 word assignment.
Who the course is for
Who would it be useful for?
The course will be of interest to anyone working with a family business from within the bounds of their own profession of origin, whether they are a lawyer, solicitor, attorney, accountant, financial planner, trust and estate advisor, trust manager, private banker, wealth manager, family office executive, or a member of a multidisciplinary team. This Advanced Certificate is also relevant for family business employees, owners and next generations.
The course is set at the level of a STEP Diploma paper and applicants should have experience of working with a family enterprise, as well as being qualified as one of the following: lawyer, accountant, financial planner, private banker, wealth manager, family office executive or family enterprise executive. Provided this is the case, the Certificate can be taken at any stage of your career.
Qualifications and Membership Framework
As part of the new STEP Qualifications and Membership Framework, applicants for a STEP Advanced Certificate will be required to gain 60 entry level credits prior to enrolling on the course. Entry level credits can be gained through the standard application process or through credits gained from a STEP Certificate.
You will be able to gain 60 entry level credits by any combination of the following:
- Relevant prior qualification - Up to 30 entry level credits (maximum)
- Relevant experience - Up to 30 entry level credits (maximum)
- STEP Certificate(s) - 60 entry level credits
Further course information
How much will it cost?
The course fee for this Advanced Certificate is:
- STEP Full Members: GBP2,095 + UK VAT, non-members: GBP 2,250 + UK VAT
- STEP Full Members: CHF2,415, non-members: CHF 2,600
- STEP Full Members: USD2,795, non-members: USD 3,000
This fee includes:
- The bespoke course manual
- Access to tools and techniques exclusive to this programme
- Dedicated course webinar
- Two day workshop
- Assessment fees
How long will it take to complete?
It is recommended that delegates review the course materials prior to attending the two-day workshop. However, the majority of study will take place during and following the workshop where delegates can expect to spend four to six hours per week of study in preparation of the assignment. The certificate will take four months to complete, from enrolling to submitting the assignment.
Where is it available?
Workshops are held in several cities worldwide.
For information on the next available course dates and locations, please visit the CLTI website.
- Download brochure (PDF 260KB)
How do I apply?
Frequently asked questions
If you have any queries and would like to speak to someone you can either call CLTI on +44 (0)121 362 7733 or email email@example.com
Members are required to maintain and develop their knowledge and skills to ensure a high standard of practice.
Our training partner CLT International provides a range of courses for those working in the UK trust and estates industry.
We offer a range of member categories to suit your professional requirements, qualifications and experience.