Advanced Certificate in Trustees’ Duties: Investment and Management of the Trust Fund
- What does this qualification cover and how is it delivered?
What does this qualification cover?
- Trustee Investment and Management of the Trust Fund – Law and Practice
- Asset Allocation
- Investing in Cash and on the Money Markets
- Stocks and Shares
- Derivatives, Options
- Investment Funds
- Structured Investment
- The Settlor’s Private Operating Company
- Real Estate
- Movable Chattels
How is it delivered?
The core programme is delivered through a blend of distance-learning and virtual workshops as part of a revision-week series provided online by experts in the field who possess vast amounts of professional experience and practical knowledge.
What other Advanced Certificates also make up the Diploma in International Trust Management?
The Diploma in International Trust Management consists of four Advanced Certificates:
- Trusts Law and Practice
- Company Law and Practice
- Trustees Duties: Investment and Management of the Trust Fund
- Principles of International Tax, AML and Compliance
This Diploma is recognised worldwide as the benchmark qualification for those working in the international trusts industry.
- Learning outcomes
- Understand the standard of care expected of a trustee when investing and managing the trust fund and be able to comply with it
- Appreciate why it is necessary and how to monitor investment performance
- Identify sources of investment risk and be able to measure and balance risk with anticipated return
- Understand the components of and be able to establish a suitable and appropriate asset allocation for a trustee
- Comply with a trustee’s need for adequate liquidity by investing in cash and on the money markets
- Appreciate the broad investment characteristics of different types of bonds, factors affecting price movements, calculate bond yields and evaluate credit ratings
- Identify the broad investment characteristics of different types of stocks, factors affecting stock prices and how to invest for the maximum return with minimum risk by implementing MPT and CAPM
- Appreciate the broad investment characteristics of collective investment funds, including sophisticated-investor hedge funds and private equity funds
- Identify the broad investment characteristics of structured products and understand how they can be used by a trustee in substitution for a tailor-made portfolio of securities
- Use hedging techniques to reduce risk by acquiring options and derivatives
- Manage real estate and high-value moveable chattels held in trust
- Entry advice and requirements
Who would find this qualification useful?
This Advanced Certificate and the Diploma that it is included in, is suitable for a wide range of practitioners. Past graduates have included members of the accountancy, banking, legal and trust professions (at all levels), company administrators, tax advisors and independent financial advisors.
What are the entry requirements?
Admission depends on meeting the Entry Level requirements, outlined in the Qualifications and Membership Framework.
How many STEP membership credits does this course provide?
The Full Diploma in International Trust Management provides 120 Diploma Level Credits (each individual Advanced Certificate that makes up this Diploma provides 30 Diploma Level credits). Find out more about how many credits you need to reach Full STEP membership
- Further course details
How long will it take to complete?
This Advanced Certificate takes six months to complete, from enrolling to sitting the examination.
How much will it cost?
The course fees for Advanced Certificates can be found on the CLTI website.
For information on the next available course dates and locations, please visit the CLTI website.
- How do I apply?
- Help and advice
Our Education Partner: CLTI
The Advanced Certificates that make up the STEP Diploma are delivered by STEP's primary training partner, CLTI. CLTI is a professional training, education and qualifications provider for the financial services industry, and over the past 20 years, CLTI and STEP have worked together to develop more than 25 qualifications and training courses that fit practitioners’ needs, and support STEP’s Exam Route to Full Membership