Advanced Certificate in Wills and Executries: Law and Practice (Scotland)
- What does this qualification cover and how is it delivered?
What does this qualification cover?
- The Requirements for making a Valid Will
- Rules for Will Drafting
- Clauses in Will Drafting
- How to Draft an Appropriate Will
- Post-Death Variations
- The Procedure from Death to the Close of Executry
- The IHT400
- The Procedure in Intestate Succession
- Inheritance Tax
- Executry Accounts
- Powers of Attorney and Guardianship
How is it delivered?
The programme is delivered through a combination of online learning and two online workshops and will take four months to complete. We recommend that you spend four to six hours per week on private study for the four months prior to the examination.
- What are the benefits to me and my employer?
Completing the programme successfully will validate your competence and enhance your expertise in:
- explaining and fulfilling the requirements for a valid Will in Scotland
- describing the full procedures to follow, from death to close of executry
- defining what is meant by an intestate estate and the correct procedures to apply
- identifying the information needed to prepare executry accounts
- Entry advice and requirements
Who would find this qualification useful?
This Advanced Certificate and the Diplomas that it is included in, is suitable for a wide range of practitioners. Past graduates have included members of the accountancy, banking, legal and trust professions (at all levels); charity specialists; a wide range of support staff and paralegals; tax advisors; independent financial advisors and executorship administrators
What are the entry requirements?
Admission depends on meeting the Entry Level requirements, outlined in the Qualifications and Membership Framework.
- Further course details
How long will it take to complete
Advanced Certificates take six months to complete from enrolling to sitting the examination.
How much will it cost?
The course fees for each Advanced Certificate can be found on the CLTI website
Where is it available?
This course is available in Scotland only. For full details visit the CLTI website
What are the course dates?
For full course dates visit the CLTI website
- How do I apply?
- Help and advice
- Specialist Diplomas
Successful completion of this course gives you 30 Diploma Level (DL) credits that you can put towards a STEP Diploma. This Advanced Certificate is included in the following diplomas:
- STEP Diploma in Tax and Estate Planning - Scotland
- STEP Diploma in Trusts and Estates - Scotland
Our Education Partner: CLTI
The Advanced Certificates that make up the STEP Diploma are delivered by STEP's primary training partner, CLTI. CLTI is a professional training, education and qualifications provider for the financial services industry, and over the past 20 years, CLTI and STEP have worked together to develop more than 25 qualifications and training courses that fit practitioners’ needs, and support STEP’s Exam Route to Full Membership