STEP Advanced Certificate in Will Preparation - England and Wales
- What does this qualification cover and how is it delivered?
What does this qualification cover?
- Will preparation as a business
- The process of will preparation
- Client interviews and taking instructions
- Mental capacity and undue influence
- The foreign element
- Joint property
- Inheritance Act 1975 claims
- Tax 1: general issues
- Tax 2: specific issues
- Drafting the will
- Non-standard wills
- The execution of the will
- Traps you must be aware of in preparing a will
- Miscellaneous law.
- Syllabus (PDF)
How is it delivered?
The programme is delivered through a combination of online learning and three workshops and will take six months to complete. We recommend that you spend four to six hours per week on private study for the six months prior to the examination.
- How can this Advanced Certificate be used towards a STEP Diploma?
This Advanced Certificate counts towards the STEP Diploma in Will Preparation - England and Wales. This Diploma is awarded on completion of the following four Advanced Certificates:
- Advanced Certificate in Will Preparation
- Advanced Certificate in Administration of Estates (E&W)
- Advanced Certificate in Administration of Trusts (E&W)
- Advanced Certificate in Taxation of Trusts and Estates (E&W)
- What are the benefits to me and my employer?
Completing the programme successfully will validate your competence and enhance your expertise in:
- fulfilling your duty of care to your clients;
- taking instructions for the preparation of the will;
- managing client interviews;
- advising your clients on issues of tax in response to their particular needs;
- drafting a will to meet your clients’ wishes and circumstances.
In addition, delegates who have successfully completed the Advanced Certificate and maintain their STEP membership (student, affiliate or full membership) are eligible to use the STEP Will Writing Code logo.
How will this benefit my employer?
The STEP Advanced Certificate in Will Preparation is a ground-breaking qualification, both practical and underpinned by academic rigour. As such it can be integrated into your business solutions straightaway. Successfully completing the Advanced Certificate will:
- arm you with a qualification recognised by everybody working in this field;
- differentiate you from the competition;
- increase your knowledge and understanding of the legal and tax factors impacting estate-planning;
- enhance your ability to deliver sound, consistent and holistic advice to clients.
- Entry advice and requirements
Who would find this qualification useful?
This Advanced Certificate is appropriate for professionals who have existing experience in will preparation.
What are the entry requirements?
Admission depends on meeting the Entry Level requirements, outlined in the Qualifications and Membership Framework.
How many STEP membership credits does this course provide?
This course provides 30 Diploma Level credits. Find out more about how many credits you need to reach Full STEP membership
- Further course details
How long will it take to complete
The Advanced Certificate takes six months to complete from enrolling to sitting the examination.
How much will it cost?
For fee information please visit the CLTI website
Where and when is it available?
This course is available in England and Wales only. For full details visit the CLTI website
What are the course dates?
For full course dates visit the CLTI website
- How do I apply?
- Help and advice
Our Education Partner: CLTI
The Advanced Certificates that make up the STEP Diploma are delivered by STEP's primary training partner, CLTI. CLTI is a professional training, education and qualifications provider for the financial services industry, and over the past 20 years, CLTI and STEP have worked together to develop more than 25 qualifications and training courses that fit practitioners’ needs, and support STEP’s Exam Route to Full Membership