STEP Certificate in Trusts and Estates - England and Wales
- How will this course benefit me?
On successful completion of this Certificate, you will be able to:
- Describe the classification and types of trusts, their uses, what affects their validity, their premature cessation and under what circumstances they can and cannot be altered;
- Understand and interpret the legal language used in trust deeds;
- Describe the roles, responsibilities, limitations and liabilities of trustees;
- Explain the legal formalities involved in the preparation of a valid will and be alert to potential problems;
- Understand the management of the client estate, including probate and intestacy issues, evaluation of any risks involved, deeds of variation, disclaimer and insolvency;
- Describe the roles, responsibilities, limitations and liabilities of executors;
- Summarise the taxes that relate to trusts and estates;
- Prepare and interpret the trust and client estate accounts.
- How will this benefit my employer?
Completing this course will equip your organisation to:
- Provide an enhanced professional service to clients;
- Ensure trust, probate and estate administration services are marketed appropriately;
- Meet best practice in trust and estate administration;
- Raise the level of knowledge and understanding of staff;
- Further safeguard the reputation of your organisation.
- Course content and delivery
What does this qualification cover?
- The English legal system
- Introduction to trusts
- Wills, probate and administration
- Introduction to trust and estate accounts
- Introduction to Trust and Estate Taxation
- Syllabus (PDF)
How is it delivered?
The Certificate is distance-learning based and is assessed by way of a five-hour open-book written examination.
- Who the course is for
The range of practitioners currently taking STEP certificate and diploma courses includes members of the accountancy, banking, legal and trust professions (at all levels); charity specialists; a wide range of support staff and paralegals; tax advisors; independent financial advisors and executorship administrators.
- Entry criteria
Completion of this certificate will earn you 30 credits. As part of the new STEP Qualifications and Membership Framework, applicants can use these credits towards the 60 entry level credits required to reach Affiliate member level. Entry level credits can also be gained through the standard application process.
- Further course information
How long will it take to complete?
The programme will take four to six months to complete.
How much will it cost?
For fee information please visit the CLTI website
What are the course dates?
Please visit the CLTI website for course dates.
- Help and advice
Our Education Partner: CLTI
The Advanced Certificates that make up the STEP Diploma are delivered by STEP's primary training partner, CLTI. CLTI is a professional training, education and qualifications provider for the financial services industry, and over the past 20 years, CLTI and STEP have worked together to develop more than 25 qualifications and training courses that fit practitioners’ needs, and support STEP’s Exam Route to Full Membership