We have committed to delivering all courses that are taking place from July until the end of December 2020 ONLINE, in response to the situation relating to COVID-19 — including workshops, revision classes and assessments. Watch this space to learn how we are supporting our students through the transition to the online environment.
STEP Certificate in Trusts and Estates - England and Wales
This Certificate provides a background and introduction to trust and estate practice giving practical knowledge of the law and procedures involved.
- How will this course benefit me?
On successful completion of this Certificate, you will be able to:
- Describe the classification and types of trusts, their uses, what affects their validity, their premature cessation and under what circumstances they can and cannot be altered;
- Understand and interpret the legal language used in trust deeds;
- Describe the roles, responsibilities, limitations and liabilities of trustees;
- Explain the legal formalities involved in the preparation of a valid will and be alert to potential problems;
- Understand the management of the client estate, including probate and intestacy issues, evaluation of any risks involved, deeds of variation, disclaimer and insolvency;
- Describe the roles, responsibilities, limitations and liabilities of executors;
- Summarise the taxes that relate to trusts and estates;
- Prepare and interpret the trust and client estate accounts.
- How will this benefit my employer?
Completing this course will equip your organisation to:
- Provide an enhanced professional service to clients;
- Ensure trust, probate and estate administration services are marketed appropriately;
- Meet best practice in trust and estate administration;
- Raise the level of knowledge and understanding of staff;
- Further safeguard the reputation of your organisation.
- Course content and delivery
What does this qualification cover?
- The English legal system
- Introduction to trusts
- Wills, probate and administration
- Introduction to trust and estate accounts
- Introduction to Trust and Estate Taxation
- Who the course is for
The range of practitioners currently taking STEP certificate and diploma courses includes members of the accountancy, banking, legal and trust professions (at all levels); charity specialists; a wide range of support staff and paralegals; tax advisors; independent financial advisors and executorship administrators.
- Entry criteria
Completion of this certificate will earn you 30 credits. As part of the new STEP Qualifications and Membership Framework, applicants can use these credits towards the 60 entry level credits required to reach Affiliate member level. Entry level credits can also be gained through the standard application process.
- Further course information
How long will it take to complete?
The programme will take four to six months to complete.
How much will it cost?
Please visit the CLTI website for course fees.
What are the course dates?
Workshops and exam centres are based in London, Manchester, Bristol, and Birmingham with an additional exam centre available in Leeds.
Please visit the CLTI website for course dates.