Asset protection principles and practice tips for estate planning lawyers. 19 October 2022
Court 13A, Supreme Court of New South Wales
184 Phillip St
Sydney NSW 2000
STEP NSW Branch invites you to a lecture with Michael Fitzpatrick TEP, Principal, Solicitor, and Notary - Fitzpatrick Estate Lawyers.
Topic: Asset Protection Principles and Practice Tips for Estate Planning Lawyers
- Quick review of what constitutes estate planning and the importance of asset protection in designing effective estate planning strategies
- Overview of the ‘classic’ asset protection strategies
- Bankruptcy clawbacks revisited
- Protecting the Family Home – strategies that didn’t work – review of Prentice v Cummins and Commissioner of Taxation v Bosanac. Suggested strategy – document the repudiation of the presumption of advancement – explained and discussed.
- Suggestions for protecting the inheritance from Family Law Claims, subsequent spouses, and Family Provision Claims:
- Inheritance Protection Agreement
- Severing the joint tenancy
- Testamentary trusts incorporating “trusts for life”
- Deed of Declaration of Ownership
- Interesting cases, war stories, anecdotes, and lessons learned over 45 years of legal practice.
Also, an online webinar will be available.
Please note the change to Court 13A (no longer Banco Court) and please note that the Court’s COVID-19 rules will apply to all attendees.
As this seminar has the option of 'in-person attendance' or 'remote attendance', please ensure you select the correct ticket type when registering for the event.