How do US trusts work in Latin America? 27 April 2023
U.S. trusts continue to be the tax and estate planning vehicle of choice for many Latin American families. Reasons for using a U.S. trust include certainty as to (i) the U.S. tax treatment and (ii) the judicial interpretation of the trust instrument. The home country tax and legal consequences for foreign settlors and beneficiaries are more uncertain and vary among Latin American jurisdictions. The Webinar will cover:
- U.S. income and transfer taxation of trusts.
- Tax consequences in the home country upon creation of trust
- Whether U.S. trust assets will be subject to home country wealth taxation?
- Home country taxation of trust distributions to the beneficiary
- Eduardo “Ed” Arista, Partner, Holland & Knight LLP, Miami, FL
- Manuel Alcalde, Partner, Carey, Santiago, Chile
- Victor Barajas, Partner, Basham, Ringe y Correa, S.C., Mexico City, Mexico
- Juan Andres Palacios, Partner, Lewin & Wills, Bogotá, Colombia
- Joanna Rezende, Partner, Velloza, São Paulo, Brazil