IPO tax issues for chinese companies and entrepreneurs. 22 July 2021
Speaker: Alice Zhang – Tax Partner, King & Wood Mallesons
The talk will cover:
The initial public offering (IPO) is a remarkable milestone for a private company and its investors. It not only opens the broader public market for a company to raise capital, but also provides an influx of liquidity for its investors. As one of the most sophisticated and delicate transactions in the capital market, IPO also presents great challenges to all involved in such transaction, including a range of tax issues. To successfully transform a private company into a publicly traded one, a well-designed tax planning scheme is essential and better to be prepared by tax experts as early as possible.
Through the combination of lecturing and case sharing, this webinar will introduce and discuss the typical tax issues faced by Chinese companies and entrepreneurs during the overseas IPO process. Among the topics of discussion, we shall highlight:
- Tax issues arising from the build-up of red-chip structure for Chinese companies seeking overseas IPOs, including thetax issues involved in VIE structures.
- Tax implications for the Employees ESOP arrangement and the tax benefits of utilizing an offshore trust for theEmployees ESOP.
- Tax implications for the company’s founders in terms of offshore listing structure and the tax benefits of setting upthe family trust.
Target audience: STEP and HKTA members
Important note: Webinar facility will be provided by STEP In order to create access to the HKSI webinar platform, participants’ names and email addresses will be passed to STEP upon registration with HKTA. A link will be provided to each participant 2 days prior to the webinar.
- Cheque payment (payable to “Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (HK) Limited”) is attached and sent to GPO 8486, Hong Kong Post Office, Central, Hong Kong
- By bank transfer (Standard Chartered Bank, A/C No. 447-0-069831-3). Please email the bank receipt (indicate attendee’s full name and seminar date on it) to [email protected]