James Painter on the STEP MPIs, and a guide to investing by Kevin Scott. 12 October 2022
About this event
James Painter will present a walkthrough of the Managed Portfolio Indices (MPI) – a free service for all STEP members to help trustees monitor investment performance and compliance. This practical guidance is designed to help you make the most of the service and illustrate its benefits.
James is a co-founder and Director of MP Analytics Limited, the business that runs the Managed Portfolio Indices as a STEP Member Service. James is a Chartered Fellow of the Chartered Institute for Securities and Investment, and has extensive experience within the financial services industry, also maintaining roles with ESG reporting and consulting business, True Limited and Jersey-based investment consultants Concentric Financial Services Limited. In a previous role James was an early adopter of fintech which brought cost effective portfolio monitoring solutions to fiduciaries globally, making James a leading authority on trustee investments.
Kevin will cover:
- The two main investment philosophies; top-down systematic evidenced based / or bottom-up active management to try to beat the market.
- Which risks can lead to higher expected returns, and which should be avoided.
- The key differences between a stockbroker, fund manager and an IFA.
- The difference between a discretionary and advisory service proposition.
- How to build an evidenced backed system of due diligence to justify your choice of investment professional.
- How to go about reviewing the performance of the investment professional.
- A deep dive into all the various charges which apply to investing.
Kevin is co-founder of Herbert Scott Chartered Financial Advisers in Lewes. He holds the STEP Diploma and is a member of the STEP Sussex Committee. Whilst Herbert Scott’s focus is private clients, they also provide the Fiduciary Wealth Service, an evidence based, cost effective investment proposition for professional trustees, attorneys and deputies.