STEP’s governance as a whole is the responsibility of STEP’s Board of Directors. The Board is supported in their role by STEP’s Council, a consultative body who advise the Board on aspects of STEP’s strategic journey, as well as on matters of interest to the wider membership.
STEP is a unitary membership body, and while members are allocated to local branches and regions, all are formally members of STEP on a global level, rather than of any constituent part.
The Board is responsible for the high-level strategic direction of STEP. Board members are the Directors of STEP with the legal authority and responsibility for the organisation. Directors are appointed by Council from among the serving Council members under an election process. One Director serves as Chair of STEP and two serve as Deputy Chairs. There are currently eight Directors in all, including the Chief Executive ex officio.
Council is elected by members or their representatives from Branches and Chapters globally, with regional representation proportionate to membership numbers. Council members are the primary channels for communication and representation between members and central governance bodies.
- Current members of Council
- Council member role description
- Council member resources (login required)
Committees and Panels
The Board delegates some of its functions to committees and panels while retaining ultimate responsibility for their activities. There are currently six committees and three panels answering to the Board.
- Governance documentation
- STEP Rules
- STEP Codes and Policies
- STEP Declarations and Conflicts of Interest Policy (PDF 139KB)
- STEP Code of Best Practice for Council and Committee members (PDF 190KB)
- STEP Code of Professional Conduct (PDF 166KB)
- CPD Policy
- STEP Elected Members – Acting in STEP’s interests (PDF 67KB)
- STEP Elections Code (PDF 199KB)
- STEP Habitual and Vexatious Behaviour Policy (PDF 130KB)
- STEP Guidance Note Honorary, Judicial and Emeritus (PDF 415KB)
- STEP Honorary, Judicial and Emeritus Appointments (PDF 316KB)
- STEP Successions Policy and Procedures (PDF 227KB)
- Meeting dates
- Committee and Council Meeting Dates 2021 (PDF 433KB)