Governance of the Society as a whole is the responsibility of two main bodies: Council and Board, who represent the interests of the worldwide membership.
STEP is a single membership body, and while members are allocated to local branches and regions, all are members of STEP on a worldwide level rather than of any part of it.
Council is elected by members or their representatives from Branches and Chapters globally, with regional representation proportionate to membership numbers. Council members are the primary channels for communication and representation between members and central governance bodies.
- Current members of Council
- Council member role description
- Council member resources (login required)
The Board is responsible for the high-level strategic direction of STEP. Its members are the Directors of STEP with the legal authority and responsibility for the organisation. Board members are appointed by Council from the serving Council members. One of the Board members serves as Chair of STEP, up to three serve as Deputy Chairmen and one serves as Treasurer. There are currently eight members in all, including the Chief Executive ex officio.
Committees and Panels
The Board delegates some of its functions to committees and panels while retaining ultimate responsibility for their activities. There are currently seven committees and three panels answering to the Board.
- Governance documentation
- STEP Rules
- STEP Codes and Policies
- STEP Code of Best Practice for Council and Committee members (PDF 190KB)
- STEP Code of Professional Conduct (PDF 166KB)
- CPD Policy
- STEP Elected Members – Acting in STEP’s interests (PDF 67KB)
- STEP Elections Code (PDF 199KB)
- STEP Habitual and Vexatious Behaviour Policy (PDF 130KB)
- STEP Guidance Note Honorary, Judicial and Emeritus (PDF 415KB)
- STEP Honorary, Judicial and Emeritus Appointments (PDF 316KB)
- STEP Successions Policy and Procedures (PDF 227KB)
- Meeting dates
- Committee and Council Meeting Dates 2020 (PDF 433KB)