This course is open entry and is suitable for both new trustees and experienced charity trustees seeking to update their knowledge.
The course covers the following units:
- Legal form of charity
- Roles and responsibilities
- Membership matters
- Communications and data
- Financial management and tax
- Risk management and sustainability
- Personal development pathway for charity trustees
Course Brochure (PDF)
- Why take this course?
The Informed Trustee equips current and aspiring trustees with the knowledge needed to be successful charity board members. Providing full coverage of the legal, regulatory and financial requirements on charities across the UK, this course will prepare you to make a powerful contribution at the board table. Created to encourage a new generation to charity trusteeship and refresh the skills of existing trustees, the programme's editor in chief is Julie Hutchison TEP; a charities specialist at Standard Life Wealth. The course content has been written by a team of 17 charity experts from leading UK law and accounting firms and is supported by the Charity Finance Group. Effective charity boards comprise trustees with a wide variety of skills, experience and perspectives.
- Entry advice
This course is open entry and is suitable for both new trustees and experienced charity trustees wanting to update their knowledge.
How will I learn?
The course is delivered online and can be accessed via your desktop, tablet or mobile phone.
The course includes real life scenarios and case studies and, by asking you to reflect on these situations, encourages you to apply the knowledge you have gained in a practical way.
- Course intended learning outcomes
On successful completion of this course you will be able to:
- Outline charity laws and regulations in the jurisdiction of the UK (being Scotland, or Northern Ireland, or England and Wales.)
- Identify the responsibilities of a charity trustee from within a range of realistic scenarios.
- Explain charity tax and accounting concepts and information that is typically prepared and scrutinised by a board.
- Discuss different regulatory, legal and finance information in a charity context
- Recognise relevant risk management and regulatory issues to consider in a range of realistic scenarios.
To achieve a course completion certificate candidates are required to sit a multiple choice test of 40 questions covering the course material within 12 months of starting the course.
How to enrol
You can enrol online for this course. Please see terms and conditions and if you need assistance, our contact information below. Enrol online
- Already enrolled?
If you have already enrolled, you can login directly here
- Group enrolment
If you are from an organisation who would like to purchase multiple licences for The Informed Trustee, please contact Charity Trustee Training firstname.lastname@example.org for details of prices.
If you have any queries regarding The Informed Trustee, please email email@example.com. This email address is monitored during normal business working hours, Monday to Friday with the exception of UK public holidays.