Apply to become an Affiliate Member today to benefit from STEP's global community and knowledge resources.
- What are the requirements?
You can apply to join as an Affiliate Member today if you have at least one year’s relevant experience and a relevant qualification .
This is a good option if you don’t currently intend to progress to Full (TEP) Membership and would like to stay at Affiliate level. If you intend to study a STEP course or progress to Full (TEP) Membership, we recommend you join via the
Exam Routeor Essay Route, where Affiliate membership will be created automatically, rather than apply directly for Affiliate Membership.
If you don’t yet have one year’s experience and a relevant qualification, you can join as a Student by enrolling on one of STEP’s entry-level
Certificates. You can then apply to become an Affiliate Member once you have any combination of the following:
- one year’s industry experience and one Certificate
- a relevant qualification and one Certificate
- two Certificates
- How much does it cost?
Application fees and annual member subscription fees are set out here: https://www.step.org/fees
NB: The application fee for Affiliate Membership is referred to as ‘APL Application’ on the fees list.
- How do I apply?
You can complete an Affiliate application online by clicking on the Apply button below.
You will need to upload the following as part of your application:
- A detailed CV/resumé, which includes a comprehensive outline of your past and current areas of practice and responsibilities within it.
- Proof of any relevant qualifications.
- A statement from an independent referee. The referee should have known you in a professional capacity during the relevant period and be able to confirm your competence as detailed in your application. Ideally, they will not be from your current firm, company or organisation. If your referee is a TEP, they can be from your current firm, company or organisation.
Please note that we are unable to process applications not completed in full and/or supported by evidence of standing in the profession, so please do be sure to complete your application thoroughly.
Background check – STEP undertakes background checks using the Refinitiv World-Check One service to assist with determining an applicant’s suitability for membership. View further information.
 Equivalent to UK Level 4 or above in a relevant subject. For example:
- AAT Accounting Qualification
- CII Financial Services Qualifications
- CILEX, Level 6
- CLT Specialist Paralegal Qualification in Wills, Probate and Administration
- Degree in law, accounting, finance, economics, business studies (PhD, Master’s degree, Undergraduate degree, College degree)
- FINRA Series 7
- ICA Diploma in Compliance
- ICA Diploma in Governance, Risk and Compliance
- IFSP Institute of Financial Services Trustee Diploma
- Institute of Professional Will Writers
- International Diploma in Financial Administration
- RICS – Property, Finance and Investment pathway
- SOLAS qualification for Accountants in Scotland
- SOLLA accreditation