What is MPI?
The Managed Portfolio Indices (MPI) show the performance of a peer group of investment portfolios that are managed on a discretionary basis on behalf of persons acting in a fiduciary capacity.
The core aim of MPI is to bring about transparency and understanding between the trustee and discretionary investment management professions with regard to communicating investment risk and understanding investment returns.
The Indices have been designed to be used by STEP members as performance benchmarks. These incorporate clearly defined risk parameters, which naturally align with the fiduciary role, using the parameters of maximum drawdown and volatility.
Furthermore the indices are calculated using data supplied by investment managers specifically for portfolios managed on behalf of persons acting in a fiduciary capacity.
MPI are available in GBP, USD and EUR, and the risk categories are low, medium and high risk.
The MPI performance report
The MPI performance report is issued quarterly in GBP, USD and EUR. Each report contains risk and return characteristics for the Indices at each risk level.
This report will provide information on how the indices have performed and the level of volatility they have exhibited. They will also demonstrate the average asset and currency allocations across the indices.
These reports can be found here
Why is this a STEP member service?
It is possible to offer MPI as a STEP member service as the information it provides is considered to be of importance to persons working in a fiduciary capacity.
For this reason STEP has embraced this concept and reached an agreement with MP Analytics Limited that the Managed Portfolio Indices can be provided as a free service for its members.
The service has been designed to promote transparency of investment performance, and to enable STEP members to have a common parlance with the investment management industry. This will help to ensure that suitable investment strategies are selected and that performance can be judged objectively.
In order to ensure that the MPI maintains its relevance to members and demonstrates continuing high levels of integrity, a Practitioners Group has been formed by invitation from STEP. The Group meets on a regular basis. Members of the Practitioners Group are:
- Andrew Wheeler - Head of Business Development / 1762 from Brewin Dolphin
- Ceris Gardner - Partner / Maurice Turnor Gardner LLP
- David Kilshaw - Senior Adviser / Rawlinson & Hunter
- James Hoare - Managing Director / MPI
- James Painter - Director / MPI
- Julian Hayden - Director / Hawksford Group
- Kathy Whatmough - Partner / Rice Whatmough Crozier
- Louise Stoten - Senior Partner / New Quadrant Partners LLP
- Martyn Crespel - Managing Director / PraxisIFM Trust SA
- Paul Bailey - Consultant / Sparrows Capital
- Stephen Browne - Director of Marketing / Waverton Investment Management
- Michelle Tring - Trust Director / Estera
- Mark Lewis - Partner, Family Office / Stonehage Fleming
MPI Investment Managers
Find out more at www.mpindices.com