Professional Conduct in Relation to Taxation (PCRT) sets out the principles and standards of behaviour expected of all STEP members: TEPs, Associates and Affiliates who advise on UK tax matters. This guidance has been developed and published by all UK accounting and tax professional bodies.
Compliance with PCRT is mandatory for members advising on UK tax matters. Members must be familiar with and comply with PCRT and a failure to do so may result in disciplinary action
This edition is effective from 1 March 2019.
- Professional Conduct in Relation to Taxation (PCRT) (PDF 291KB)
- PCRT FAQs (PDF 53KB)
There are five helpsheets as follows:
- Helpsheet A: submission of tax information and 'tax filings' (PDF 93KB)
- Helpsheet B: tax advice (PDF 127KB)
- Helpsheet C: dealing with errors (PDF 99KB)
- Helpsheet D: request for data by HMRC (PDF 145KB)
- Helpsheet E: members’ personal tax affairs (PDF 71KB)
- TOPICAL GUIDANCE HELPSHEET: Provision of R&D tax credit services (added 1 June 2020) (PDF 597KB)
The help sheets represent guidance designed to help members apply the Fundamental Principles and Standards in their tax work. While not mandatory a member in a disciplinary case may be asked to explain why they did not follow the help sheet guidance. For example, a case might be brought against a member under the fundamental principle of integrity. As part of the investigation by the disciplinary body the member could be asked to explain why, as recommended in the ‘Dealing with errors’ help sheet, they had not advised their client to make good the tax underpayment which they had identified in the client’s tax affairs.
Complete PDF copies of PCRT and the PCRT helpsheets can be obtained upon request by emailing [email protected]