SIG Spotlight Week Webinar: Assessing capacity: different approaches globally - 2 December 2020
SIG Spotlight Session:
13 / 21
One of the 21 one-hour webinar sessions you can register for across SIG Spotlight Week 2020. Book as many sessions as you like with increasing discounts according to the number of sessions you wish to book. SIG members, STEP members and non-members all welcome!
- 08:30 Los Angeles, Vancouver
- 11:30 Toronto, New York
- 13:30 São Paulo
- 16:30 GMT/UTC - London
- 17.30 Paris, Berlin
- 20:30 Abu Dhabi
- 22:00 New Delhi
- (+1) 05:30 Auckland (3 December)
- *Convert other timezones
A thought-leadership panel discussion on different approaches to assessing mental capacity in England & Wales, Canada, the Caribbean and the USA. A multitude of different sets of guidelines nationally and internationally can impede the implementation of consistent, transparent and accurate assessments of legal capacity nationally and internationally. The international panel of experts will compare and contrast each jurisdiction to highlight best practice tips for practitioners in this area. This session will complement the spotlight session on the ‘Challenges of Assessing Capacity Virtually’ and draw more broadly on the assessment of capacity generally.
- legal tests for assessing capacity in England & Wales, Canada, the Caribbean and the USA.;
- triggers for assessing capacity;
- development of substitute decision making schemes;
- challenges that commonly arise;
- best-practice tips.
- MODERATOR: Julia Abrey TEP, Partner and Head − Elder Law, Withers LLP – United Kingdom
- Dr. Margaret Hall, BC Notaries Chair-Applied Legal Studies and Professor-Criminology, Simon Fraser University – Canada
- Mary Helen McNeal, Director-Elder and Health Law Clinic and Professor-Law, Syracuse University – USA
- Karen Perreira TEP, Principal, InterCaribbean Legal – Barbados
A live webinar accessible by web (both for audio and visuals) from your computer, tablet or smartphone. In a designated session towards the end, attendees will have the opportunity to ask live questions of the speakers.
To join the webinar at the designated time, prior registration is required.
Following registration, registrants will receive an email containing instructions for joining the webinar.
Connect with us