SIG Spotlight Week Webinar: Post-death planning for the cross-border estate - 30 November 2020
SIG Spotlight Session:
4 / 21
One of the 21 one-hour webinar sessions you can register for across SIG Spotlight Week 2020. Book as many sessions as you like with increasing discounts according to the number of sessions you wish to book. SIG members, STEP members and non-members all welcome!
- 07:00 Los Angeles, Vancouver
- 10:00 Toronto, New York
- 12:00 São Paulo
- 15:00 GMT/UTC - London
- 16.00 Paris, Berlin
- 19:00 Abu Dhabi
- 20:30 New Delhi
- 23:00 Beijing, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur, Perth, Singapore
- *Convert other timezones
This session will examine the various ways of altering succession rights post death and the reasons for doing this. It will explore the extent to which post death changes are permitted in a number of common and civil law jurisdictions with particular emphasis on France, the United Kingdom and the USA, formalities, time limits and tax. A case study which looks at the challenges of varying a multi-jurisdictional estate will be included.
The session will look in particular at:
- deeds of variation, disclaimers and deeds of appointment;
- other forms of inter family agreements;
- the effect of waiving or abandoning forced heirship rights.
- MODERATOR: Catherine McAleavey TEP, Partner, Farrer & Co LLP – United Kingdom
- Caroline Cohen TEP, Founder, The French Law Practice Ltd – France/United Kingdom
- Laura Kelly, Partner, McCarter & English LLP – USA
- Sonal Shah, Senior Associate, Farrer & Co LLP – United Kingdom
A live webinar accessible by web (both for audio and visuals) from your computer, tablet or smartphone. In a designated session towards the end, attendees will have the opportunity to ask live questions of the speakers.
To join the webinar at the designated time, prior registration is required.
Following registration, registrants will receive an email containing instructions for joining the webinar.