SIG Spotlight Week Webinar: The challenges of assessing capacity virtually - 1 December 2020
SIG Spotlight Session:
7 / 21
One of the 21 one-hour webinar sessions you can register for across SIG Spotlight Week 2020. Book as many sessions as you like with increasing discounts according to the number of sessions you wish to book. SIG members, STEP members and non-members all welcome!
- 06:00 Toronto, New York
- 08:00 São Paulo
- 11:00 GMT/UTC - London
- 12.00 Paris, Berlin
- 15:00 Abu Dhabi
- 16:30 New Delhi
- 19:00 Beijing, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur, Perth, Singapore
- 22:00 Sydney
- *Convert other timezones
The global COVID-19 pandemic has forced estate practitioners to quickly learn to deliver their legal services in a virtual world while still discharging their fiduciary and other obligations to their clients. Certain jurisdictions have passed emergency and, in some cases, permanent legislation that allows for the virtual execution of estate planning documents.
How can lawyers properly assess mental capacity over virtual meeting platforms? How can they determine whether undue influence is being exerted over their clients? Our panel of speakers from around the world will:
- provide an overview of legislative approaches taken in their jurisdiction;
- outline their experience with the virtual execution of estate planning documents;
- suggest best practices for estate practitioners when addressing assessment of capacity virtually.
- MODERATOR: Claire van Overdijk TEP, Barrister, Outer Temple Chambers – United Kingdom
- Lisa Law TEP, Legal Director, Brodies LLP Solicitors – United Kingdom
- Britta McKenna, Partner and International Trusts & Estates Practice Leader, Hodgson Russ LLP – USA
- Corina Weigl TEP, Partner and Co-Leader-Private Client, Fasken Martineau DuMoulin LLP – Canada
A live webinar accessible by web (both for audio and visuals) from your computer, tablet or smartphone. In a designated session towards the end, attendees will have the opportunity to ask live questions of the speakers.
To join the webinar at the designated time, prior registration is required.
Following registration, registrants will receive an email containing instructions for joining the webinar.