SIG Spotlight Week Webinar: Will substitutes on death: a comparative review - 1 December 2020
SIG Spotlight Session:
9 / 21
One of the 21 one-hour webinar sessions you can register for across SIG Spotlight Week 2020. Book as many sessions as you like with increasing discounts according to the number of sessions you wish to book. SIG members, STEP members and non-members all welcome!
- 08:30 Los Angeles, Vancouver
- 11:30 Toronto, New York
- 13:30 São Paulo
- 16:30 GMT/UTC - London
- 17.30 Paris, Berlin
- 20:30 Abu Dhabi
- 22:00 New Delhi
- (+1) 05:30 Auckland (2 December)
- *Convert other timezones
Will substitutes over the last several decades have proliferated and taken on many different forms. For many, they are a key method by which to pass wealth on death as opposed to the more traditional means of a will. This session will consider various will substitutes used in both common law and civil law jurisdictions, their purpose, their relative popularity as well as their advantages and disadvantages. It will also explore future directions, including whether a will is destined to become increasingly less important in passing wealth on death, and what the impact might be on succession law and estate planning as a result.
The session will look at:
- types of will substitutes: pensions ,insurance, bank accounts, foundations, trusts and other devices;
- wills versus will substitutes: pros and cons;
- future directions and impact on succession law and estate planning.
- MODERATOR: Margaret O’Sullivan TEP, Managing Partner, O'Sullivan Estate Lawyers – Canada
- Professor Lionel Smith, Professor of Law, McGill University – Canada
- Professor Dr. Gregor Christandl, Director-Institute for Italian Law, Innsbruck University – Austria
A live webinar accessible by web (both for audio and visuals) from your computer, tablet or smartphone. In a designated session towards the end, attendees will have the opportunity to ask live questions of the speakers.
To join the webinar at the designated time, prior registration is required.
Following registration, registrants will receive an email containing instructions for joining the webinar.
Connect with us